Wakefield Coroner David Hinchliff has completed his report on the tragic deaths of Bobby and Christi Shepherd. Bobby and Christi died from carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty boiler on a Thomas Cook holiday in 2006.
The report makes clear that the UK Government should be leading on improving carbon monoxide safety standards in holiday premises across Europe. So far the UK Government have refused to back these standards. The Prime Minister should now prioritise the safety of British tourists as he renegotiates the UK’s relationship with the EU.
As one of the world’s largest travel companies, Thomas Cook has an opportunity to show leadership and make real changes to prevent another tragedy. Where it leads, others will follow.
I will be holding a conference on carbon monoxide safety in parliament on Monday 16 November. On Friday 9 October Sharon Wood, Bobby and Christi’s Mum, will be unveiling a memorial bench on Queen Street, Horbury.