Mary Creagh MP

Working hard for Wakefield

  • Home /
  • News / MP backs Care2Save website set to Benefit Wakefield Hospice

MP backs Care2Save website set to Benefit Wakefield Hospice

MP BACKS NEW CARE2SAVE SHOPPING WEBSITE SET TO BENEFIT WAKEFIELD HOSPICE

 

Mary Creagh has shown her support at a Westminster event for Care2Save.co.uk, the newly-launched shopping site that will help raise funds for charities across Wakefield when people shop online .

Online spending over Christmas is predicted to reach an all time high of £13bn[1]. If just 5 per cent of purchases are made through Care2Save.co.uk,  £19.5m could be raised for good causes this festive season.

The briefing enabled MPs to learn how Care2Save.co.uk provides a new income stream for hospices and charities in the UK.

Care2Save is unique in the UK, as it is the only charity owned and run shopping website that gives 100% of the money that it makes through commission directly to the charity sector.

The site offers over 12 million products from over 2,000 UK-based high street retailers, making it a one-stop shop for Christmas shopping whilst giving commission from all purchases to charity – without costing the customer a penny. 80 per cent of the commission generated through each purchase goes to a registered charity of the shopper’s choice, and the remaining 20 per cent goes to the Care2Save Charitable Trust, which supports hospice and palliative care in the UK and globally.

This enables people to support their chosen charity this Christmas and each time they shop in the future. It also provides much-needed funds for the hospice sector: a service which most families will need at some point.

There are more than 220 hospices in the UK, which collectively care for around 360,000 people each year. Wakefield Hospice standS to benefit from the work of the Care2Save Charitable Trust.

Representatives from Care2Save, including the founders, were on hand at the briefing to explain how the website works and demonstrate how much money it could raise for charities this Christmas.

Mary Creagh said, “It was great to attend the Care2Save event to hear how it can help Wakefield Hospice. The hospice does fantastic work supporting people in need and deserves our support. If you’re doing some last minute shopping this site makes it easy to buy online and support the Wakefield Hospice at the same time.”

 Andrea Fragata Ladeira, CEO, Care2Save: “Hospice care will touch all of our lives at one point or another; whether for ourselves or those close to us. Together through Care2Save we have the opportunity to transform the hospice sector and to raise significant sums for other charities in the process. The support of MPs is vital, and we sincerely hope that the MPs who kindly joined us today and as many people as possible will now join us in making Care2Save.co.uk their shopping website of choice for Christmas and beyond.”

 

ENDS

Notes to editors

For more information and images, please contact Jack Hickmott or Tori Dance in the Care2Save press office on 020 7221 7883 or care2save@Kallaway.com

 

About hospice care in the UK

 Collectively local charitable hospices need to raise £1.8[2] million every day from their local communities to fund the care they provide.

For Adults in the UK there are:

 

  • 223 hospice and palliative care inpatient units
  • 3,200 hospice and palliative care beds
  • 291 home care services
  • 129 Hospice at Home services
  • 275 day care centres
  • 346 hospital support services1.

For children: in the UK there are:

  • 43 hospice inpatient units
  • 338 hospice beds.

 About The Care2Save Charitable Trust

 The Care2Save Charitable Trust was born out of the hospice movement and is the brainchild of the fundraising team at St Luke’s Hospice, Winsford, Cheshire. The major initiative run by the Trust is care2save.co.uk, a shopping portal that benefits hospice and palliative care in the UK and globally.

Care2Save is the only shopping website of its kind run by a charity and the website through which 100% of the commission from each purchase is retained within the charity sector.

The commission is split into two; 80 per cent goes to a registered charity of the shopper’s choice, and the remaining 20 per cent goes to the Care2Save Charitable Trust (registered charity 1151546), which supports hospice and palliative care in the UK and globally.

Over 12 million products from more than 2000+ retailers including John Lewis, Marks & Spencer, thetrainline.com, Travelodge, and Easyjet are available through Care2save.co.uk


 


[1] http://internetretailing.net/2014/08/uk-online-shoppers-set-to-spend-13bn-this-christmas-forecast/

[2] http://www.helpthehospices.org.uk

The Labour Party will place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better.

Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site.

To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice. Use of this site confirms your acceptance of these cookies.